Head of Operations
NHS AfC: Band 8c
- Division of Network Services
- NHS AfC: Band 8c
- Full time
- Flexible working
- Royal Stoke University Hospital
- £67,064 - £77,274 per annum
- 02/10/2022 23:59
If there is a high volume of applications the advert may be closed early. Please apply without delay if you wish to be considered for this role. (This does not apply to any medical staffing posts)
Important Information: University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust does not pay travel expenses for candidates attending interviews.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and engaging Senior Operational Leader who has a passion for the fast pace delivery of clinical Divisional management, ensuring safe, timely & high quality care for our patients. This post is an essential part of a committed and dynamic Divisional Management Team with a key portfolio in pleading on the key agendas of both Urgent & Planned Care pathways - the Head of Operations will be committed to improving the patient experience across our Trust through ensuring that we have a clear, sustainable processes that support our staff and our patients using our services.
The Head of Operations will lead on ensuring that the models of care for our Division are consistent with our values & our commitment to reducing ‘non-value’ time for our patients, always ensuring that when our patients need us most that we have the appropriate systems and processes in place to support our staff and our services to deliver this.
Main duties of the job
- To establish and operate effective communication systems for all staff working in the Division
- To develop and maintain effective communication and good working relationships with other Divisions, Directorates, GPs, System Partners and all relevant stakeholders
- To network with other Trusts providing similar services in order to identify and share areas of good practice at national and local level
- To participate in the Corporate (Silver) and any required Divisional General Management on-call service
- To ensure a regular physical presence within all areas of the division in order to provide appropriate leadership and be approachable to
- To monitor the performance of the Directorates against their agreed objectives and to be responsible for ensuring corrective action where performance is not in accordance with objectives
- Able to logically think through a particular problem, that does not always have an obvious solution, to determine an action plan for resolving issues, drawing on appropriate resources, and taking into account all the
- In conjunction with the core Divisional Management Team, ensure that systems for clinical governance are in place with appropriate monitoring mechanisms for their continued effectiveness
- To analyse and interpret the staff satisfaction survey results for a complex range of services within the directorate structure and to work with staff to develop and implement improvement plans
- Promote lean principles within the Division in order to improve quality and productivity and embed a culture of continuous improvement.
- Develop and encourage a culture within the Division of continuous service improvement around the patient pathway, both to deliver the patient targets and to achieve value for money for the
Working for our organisation
University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust is one of the largest and most modern in the country. We serve around three million people and we're highly regarded for our facilities, teaching and research. The Trust has around 1,450 inpatient beds across two sites in Stoke-on-Trent and Stafford. Our 11,000 strong workforce provide emergency treatment, planned operations and medical care from Royal Stoke University Hospital and County Hospital in Stafford.
We are the specialist centre for major trauma for the North Midlands and North Wales. We have put together a wide range of development packages aimed at ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to fulfil their potential. Our goal is to be a world-class centre of achievement, where patients receive the highest standards of care and the best people come to learn, work and research.
Investing in the health and wellbeing of our staff is really important to us. We offer a range of options for our staff to help maintain a good work-life balance including full time, part time hours and bank hours. We are also committed to offering flexible working wherever we can and where relevant to the role and the service, agile working. You can select your preferences upon application.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
For more information on working for the Trust, please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification.
For more details on the post, please see contact information details
- Postgraduate (Masters) Qualification
- •Evidence of continuing professional development.
- Health Related subject
- • Members of a clinical and/or management professional body
- Experience of Discharge Planning across wide range of sectors
- Experience Preparing and Implementing Strategic Plans and Policies and Auditing Compliance
- • Extensive and successful previous management and operational experience, at senior level in the NHS and acute care setting
- • Detailed understanding and experience of the operation of a large complex service organisation
- • Evidence of prior achievement in devising effective strategies to manage patient flow
- • Proven successful track record in supporting and sustaining transformational change within a complex organisation;
- • Proven successful track record in translating business strategy into operational delivery
- • Proven successful track record in managing operating budgets and delivering financial surplus;
- • Tenacity: demonstrates high levels of self-belief, drive, enthusiasm and stamina to achieve goals and see things through.
- • Ability to motivate, inspire and provide innovative solutions.
- • Excellent judgement.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Beccy Kirkham
- Job title
- Director of Operations – Network Services
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01782 679472
- Additional information