Pharmacy Assistant Technical Officer - Dispensary
- Band 2
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week (participation in weekend and Bank Holiday rotas are essential.)
- Royal Stoke University Hospital
- Stoke on Trent
- £20,270 - £21,318 pro rota per annum
- 05/10/2022 23:59
If there is a high volume of applications the advert may be closed early. Please apply without delay if you wish to be considered for this role. (This does not apply to any medical staffing posts)
Important Information: University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust does not pay travel expenses for candidates attending interviews.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to recruit a Pharmacy Assistant Technical Officer - Dispensary. You will join our dedicated team delivering dispensing and ward services at University Hospital of North Midlands.
We are looking for a flexible, highly motivated, dynamic and enthusiastic person to provide a pharmaceutical service to our in-patients and out-patients.
You must have excellent organisational and communication skills and you will need to be able to work effectively with the existing team both at ward level and within the pharmacy directorate.
Main duties of the job
The role is varied and will include:
• Dispensing medications including discharge, in-patient and electronic prescriptions, in both the dispensary and in the dispensing hubs, at ward level
• Dispensing controlled drugs, ward stock orders, daily clinic prescriptions and compliance aids
• Bagging up completed prescriptions to be returned to the wards
• Reception duties which includes utilising the pharmacy prescription tracking system
• Handing out medications to patients and staff waiting
• Participate in stock control and management
• Ensure that the dispensary has adequate supplies of medicine bottles, bags spoons, measures and syringes and ordering these on a when required basis
• Ensure equipment used in the dispensary is clean and ready for everyday use
The post holder will work as part of a pharmacy team of Assistant Technical Officers, Pharmacy Technicians and Pharmacists to deliver the pharmacy service to UHNM
Working for our organisation
University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust is one of the largest and most modern in the country. We serve around three million people and we’re highly regarded for our facilities, teaching and research. The Trust has around 1,450 inpatient beds across two sites in Stoke-on-Trent and Stafford. Our 11,000 strong workforce provide emergency treatment, planned operations and medical care from Royal Stoke University Hospital and County Hospital in Stafford.
We are the specialist centre for major trauma for the North Midlands and North Wales. We have put together a wide range of development packages aimed at ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to fulfil their potential. Our goal is to be a world-class centre of achievement, where patients receive the highest standards of care and the best people come to learn, work and research.
Investing in the health and wellbeing of our staff is really important to us. We offer a range of options for our staff to help maintain a good work-life balance including full time, part time hours and bank hours. We are also committed to offering flexible working wherever we can and where relevant to the role and the service, agile working. You can select your preferences upon application.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
At UHNM the Pharmacy Directorate is a modern, purpose-built pharmacy department working across both sites. We constantly strive to re-engineer our services to improve our delivery of patient focused pharmaceutical care. This includes a recently updated pharmacy computer system, integration of a robot into the dispensary, implementation of one stop dispensing and wireless electronic medicines management at the patient’s bedside.
The Pharmacy Department provide medicines management and medicines optimisation services from both sites. We have implemented a 7 day working service – delivering high quality pharmaceutical care to the patients of this Trust 7 days a week. We provide an exciting and sociable working environment and are looking for forward thinking, enthusiastic and highly motivated staff to join our highly regarded team.
You will have the ability to work as a team member and to work on own initiative, completing allocated work and ensuring rotas are complied with.
The post holder will be given specific training in all areas to help develop skills further; this will include working towards an NVQ level 2 in Pharmacy Services.
The directorate actively promotes development, education and training.
An average of 37.5 hours per week, worked over a 7-day working rota, with a minimum weekend commitment of 1 in 4
Education and qualifications
- NVQ Level 2 in Pharmacy Services and at least 1 year experience in a Pharmacy settingOR 4 GCSEs (or equivalent) including Maths and English at grade C or above and will work towards and successfully complete the NVQ Level 2 in Pharmacy Services. .
- Conflict Resolution Training
- NVQ level 2 in Customer Services
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of people
- Computer literate with good general keyboard skills, for using the pharmacy computer systems, including ordering, receiving and stock and rectifying stock discrepancies.
- Previous experience of working within a pharmacy setting
- Good keyboard skills
- Previous experience of dealing with customers and difficult queries.
Skills, ability and knowledge
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to deal confidently and directly with all members of healthcare teams and members of the public.
- Ability to work unsupervised and within departmental guidelines/SOPs
- Pride in establishing and maintaining high standards of work and attention to detail
- Literate and numerate
- Participate in extended hours, weekend and bank holiday working
- Honest and trustworthy and able to maintain strict confidentiality at all times
- Self-motivated and demonstrates a desire to complete the NVQ level 2 award.
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Diane Massey
- Job title
- Lead Pharmacy Technician Dispensary Services
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01782 674566