Locum Consultant Geriatrician
NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Elderly Care
- NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Fixed term: 12 months
- Full time - 10 sessions per week (0.94 Additional PA's)
- University Hospitals North Midlands
- Stoke On Trent
- £88,364 - £119,133 per annum (pro-rata)
- 16/10/2022 23:59
If there is a high volume of applications the advert may be closed early. Please apply without delay if you wish to be considered for this role. (This does not apply to any medical staffing posts)
Important Information: University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust does not pay travel expenses for candidates attending interviews.
LOCUM CONSULTANT GERIATRICIAN
We are currently recruiting to a Locum Consultant Geriatrician. The post-holder will have duties in acute geriatric medicine and will join a team of 9 Consultant Geriatricians. We have 4 acute geriatric wards and a 29-bedded Frail Elderly Assessment Unit (FEAU). Post holder responsibilities will include covering an acute ward with another Geriatrician and FEAU on a 1 in 8 rota.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will
Provision of cover to your base acute elderly care ward in conjunction with another geriatrician, attendance at daily board rounds.
Cover for FEAU as per rota. 1:8, 8-5 and 1:8 weekends, 9-3pm and bank holidays, 1:8, 9-3 pm.
Participation in rapid access clinics, which offer GPs fast track assessments of older people and access to rapid tests.
Provide cover for an agreed complement of wards for a specialist opinion on older patients.
You will provide clinical leadership, including all aspects of the elderly care service and you will be expected to supervise and teach junior medical staff and nurse practitioners/clinical nurse specialists.
Working for our organisation
University Hospitals of North Midlands has two sites: Royal Stoke University Hospital, located in Stoke-on-Trent, and County Hospital, located in Stafford. From these hospitals we provide a full range of general acute hospital services for people living in and around Staffordshire and beyond. The Trust also provides specialised services for three million people in a wider area, including neighbouring counties and North Wales.
Our specialised services include cancer diagnosis and treatment, cardiothoracic surgery, neurosurgery, renal and dialysis services, neonatal intensive care and paediatric intensive care. We are recognised for our particular expertise in trauma, respiratory conditions, spinal surgery, upper gastro-intestinal surgery, complex orthopaedic surgery, laparoscopic surgery and the management of liver conditions. The Trust has some of the most modern operating theatres in Europe.
Flexible working requests will be considered.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
A detailed job description and the main responsibilities can be found within the job pack attached under supporting documents.
- Full GMC Registration
- MRCP or equivalent.
- Experience in Geriatric Medicine (UK) at consultant level (Locum) or minimum 5 years at Registrar level
- Entry on the GMC Specialist Register for Geriatric Medicine and General Internal medicine via either: a) Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) or b) CESR
- SCE in Geriatric Medicine
Clinical Experience & Training
- Clinical training and experience equivalent to that required for gaining (UK) CCST in Geriatric Medicine and GIM.
- Ability to offer expert clinical opinion in a range of problems within the specialty.
- Interest / experience in front door frailty / surgical liaison / community geriatrics
Academic Achievements, Research, Publications
- Ability to apply research outcomes to clinical problems.
- Evidence of having undertaken original research
- Publications in relevant peer-reviewed journals in the last five years. Research experience
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Georgy Jacob
- Job title
- Clinical Lead / Consultant Geriatrician
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01782 675096
- Additional information
Dr G Jacob, Clinical Lead for Geriatric Medicine on 01782 675096
If you have problems applying, contact
2nd Floor, Springfield Building
Royal Stoke Hospital
Stoke On Trent